I remember eating pickled beetroot on the side next to creamy potato salad at just about every braai when I was growing up.
I didn’t even know there was such a thing as roast beetroot up until a few months ago.
Making the decision to not eat meat and eat mainly vegetables for supper has totally changed the way I look at veggies… I can’t get enough of them!
One of our good friends shared his roast beetroot recipe with us and we’ve been in beetroot heaven ever since. Here’s the recipe with a few variations. It’s one of my favourite summer salads this year… just add a bit of baby spinach and you’re good to go! So, so yummy… you’ve got to give this one a try.
– 5 beetroots, peeled and chopped into medium chunks
– 2 Tbsps olive oil
– 3 Tbsps water
– 1.5 Tbsps balsamic vinegar
– 2 tsps rosemary
– 1 tsp mixed herbs
– salt and pepper to taste
– pumpkin seeds (optional)
– 1 block/wheel of feta cheese (optional)
Let’s get started…
- Preheat the oven to 190°C. Spray a small ovenproof dish with non-stick spray.
- Peel and chop the beetroot. Add this and everything except the pumpkin seeds and feta cheese (if you’re using them) into the dish.
- Give it a thorough mix through so that the beetroot is coated in everything.
- Cover the dish with tinfoil and place in the oven for 35 – 40 minutes, or until the beetroot is nice and tender.
- Take off the tinfoil (gently… it’s hot!) and allow to cool for a few minutes.
Serve as a tasty side to a main meal, as a light lunch with some crackers and cheese, or as a salad. Simply add the pumpkin seeds and crumb the feta into the roast beetroot mix and serve on top of baby spinach leaves!