When I wasn’t gluten-intolerant and could still eat bread for lunch, I wasn’t very imaginative. Sandwiches usually consisted of cheese and tomato or tuna mayo.
But now that I’m forced to eat something other than bread – like rice cakes – I need to make it interesting enough to eat. Rice cakes on their own aren’t exactly yummy, for me anyway…
I discovered rice cakes about a year ago. There are so many varieties available today – they’re not just rice, you get them in maize or corn, thick or thin, and round or square.
I’ve tried everything from peanut butter with chocolate sauce and salt (very good!), to chicken mayo salad, roast veggies, and leftovers.
Leftovers are the best. You’d be surprised by the number of healthy lunch ideas you can come up with using things you’d never have thought to put together.
A few weeks ago I made this for lunch… It was divine!
Obviously, there’s not much to putting this lunch together and you can use whatever leftovers you have at home.
Here’s the recipe for this lentil curry and salsa topping:
- 2 – 3 Rice cakes per person (I used corn cakes here)
- Low fat smooth plain cottage cheese
- Left over lentil curry warmed slightly *
- Tomato salsa **
- Sweet chili sauce
- Salt and pepper
- Spread a layer of cottage cheese onto each rice or corn cake.
- Top with lentil curry and tomato salsa.
- Drizzle with sweet chili sauce and add salt and pepper to season.
* Basic Lentil Curry
- Lightly fry chopped onion and garlic in some olive oil with mild curry spice, turmeric, cumin, coriander spice, salt and pepper.
- Cook one cup of brown or red lentils as per cooking instructions on the packet in a separate pot.
- Combine onion mixture with the lentils once cooked through.
- Add some soy sauce and stir in just before spooning the mixture into a bowl for serving.
** Tomato Salsa
- Chop two large tomatoes and one small onion into small cubes.
- Slice ¼ of a cucumber and one jalapeno chili thinly and add to the tomatoes and onion.
- Drizzle with some lemon juice
If you’re looking for something tasty and a little different, or if you need a substitute for bread, why not give this healthy lunch idea a try!
Healthy and happiness,