Last Friday night I was craving something yummy for supper. Hubby was out at a work team-building late lunch thing, so I could have my pick of anything for supper. My body was crying out for junk food but since I don’t eat meat or wheat, a juicy cheeseburger wasn’t in the cards. But I wasn’t about to spend a weekend night making something super healthy for one.
So, I compromised.
There would be cheese. There would be melted cheese….somewhere. I remembered the homemade nachos I’d made a few months ago. My supper dilemma was sorted…nachos it was!
This meal is great for one, for two, for a fun dinner with friends over, or even as a party snack. The best part is, you can add in really whatever you feel like, and it’s SO quick to make. It took me about 15 minutes to put everything together. Here’s what you need for a basic plate of nachos…
Serves 1 (multiply for more portions)
- +/- 20 corn nacho chips
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 chicken breast
- ½ avocado
- +/- 50g cheese, grated
- 100ml plain low fat yoghurt
- 30ml lemon juice
- dried herbs
- chilli flakes
- salt and pepper
- Cut the chicken into bite sized pieces and fry in a little olive oil until golden brown and cooked through. Add spices and herbs to taste.
- Layer dinner plate with nachos, the chicken and then the diced tomatoes.
- Sprinkle the grated cheese on top and heat in the microwave for a few seconds until cheese is melted.
- Mash the avocado with half the lemon juice and salt and pepper to make the guacamole. Mix the rest of the lemon juice with the yoghurt. Add both on top of the cheese.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve!
I’m making this again tonight, only this time I’m going to add in some red kidney beans and mozzarella cheese. Mmmm!
Got the junk food munchies but want to keep it more on the healthy side? Try homemade nachos…MUCH better than the greasy junk they serve in a lot of places.