This past week has been insane! Between the new job and the freelance work I’ve started getting (definitely not complaining!), it’s taking some serious getting used to, that’s for sure. Today is the first time in over a week that I’ve been able to spend some quality time with this little blog. Sunday afternoon bliss…
My body’s also a little sore today in all the right places. I did the most amazing Jillian Michaels workout yesterday. Yes, yes….I’m going on about this woman again. I can’t help it – the woman is a genius. Plain and simple.
There’s no way in hell I’m forking out almost half a grand every month to go gym. I’d much rather save money – and time – getting in a workout at home. Since January, I’ve bought a couple of workout DVDs. Some good, some amazing, some so so – like Tracy Anderson’s DVD (even though she trains Gwyneth Paltrow and Madonna) – wow, what a let down.
Thankfully, the other few I bought were worth every penny.
I’ve been fitting in a different 30-minute Jillian Michaels workout every morning before work which has helped a ton with that persistent “little” bugger – AKA stress, and just generally boosting my mood for the day ahead. On Saturday I felt like doing a little more, so I tried the full 60-minute “Extreme Shed and Shred“ fusion workout. Holy moly.
This fusion workout is mind blowing…
Well, for me, anyway…
- It’s fusion, meaning that you get in a super mix in of kickboxing, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, yoga and weight training. So fun!
- There are 3 modifications: beginners (whew!), intermediate and advanced.
- You can PAUSE the DVD!
- I’ve NEVER pushed myself physically so hard in my entire life. Didn’t even know it was possible with my body.
- There’s a proper stretch and cool down period.
- My favourite part of the whole DVD is the “time out” few minutes after the cool down. Lying down on the mat, Jillian makes you feel positive and good about what you’ve accomplished – not just in the workout, but what you accomplish EVERY DAY. All the crap and anxiety simple vanishes. I love it!
Oh, she also goes on about how this fusion workout – any workout really, is supposed to be fun….YES! Thank you, someone who speaks my language.
Mid-morning chocolate heaven…
Over the last two weeks I’ve gotten into the habit of having one of two things as a mid-morning snack at work. One of them is warm “Apple Pie” with raisins or dates, or chocolate “pudding”. It’s enough to get me to lunch time, and strangely – it’s actually something I really look forward to every day. It’s so YUMMY!
If you want a healthy snack that gets you excited, give this one a try:
- 1 small/medium banana, mashed
- 1 Tbsp peanut butter (I use sugar-free)
- 1 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 4 Tbsp low-fat plain yoghurt
Mix all of this together and spoon into an airtight container. Easy!
I’ve also added nuts – or if I’m feeling really indulgent – some broken up pieces of marshmallows (like in the pic at the top). Sooooo good. Which reminds me, I really need to make some time this week to experiment with a few new recipes – it’s been too long.
Have a fab Monday!
All views in this blog are my own; I was not paid for this post.