I envy people who work from home. I envy people who don’t have to sit in traffic for an hour to get to work. Exercising, going to gym, or taking a little jog around the block (usually) feels so completely “bleh” when you’re mentally exhausted from a full day at work. Fitness fun?
Please, just give me the couch, a glass of red wine and an OMG episode or two of Shameless, thanks.
But that’s the thing about stress.
Yes, TV is an awesome distraction short-term, but in the long-term, let’s be realistic – it’s just a gigantic time suck. And unless you’re watching feel-good show after feel-good show, those “omigosh!” scenes don’t exactly stir up the zen goddess before bedtime.
New job this year, new lot of things.
Longer travelling time, more taxis and traffic than I’m used to, and leaving home by 6.20am most mornings. A nice little dose of stress before the workday even starts. Oh, and let’s not forget driving in the dark and the rain in winter with impatient drivers. Wooosa.
Fitting in exercise wasn’t very high on my priority list.
But then at the end of May, when my clothes started feeling a little more snug than I liked and snapping at the most ridiculous minute things became an everyday thing, I figured I needed to make a plan.
Fitting fitness into a busy week
I joined Virgin Active, again.
Not like I’ve got a ton of time to go exercising. But just having that monetary commitment, usually tends to motivate things a little more.
Plus, getting onto Discovery’s Vitality plan with all those rewards is pretty cool, too.
So new gym membership, running a little and having an overwhelming desire to dance seems wonderful as far as fitness goes – but where to fit the time in, especially when we leave home before 6.30am every morning?!
As I’ve started learning more and more this year, there’s no such thing as finding time for anything, it’s about MAKING time for things that matter.
This is my version of weekly “fitness fun” (for now…)
(Fun because if it’s not… there’s no way I’m going to do it!)
- 5am gym, twice a week. This was hard the first time, especially in winter, when it’s raining and cold (and two kitties and a hubby all cosy in bed!) But it IS doable. 30 minutes, quick quick cardio. With a nice gourmet coffee waiting afterwards, mmm, yes please! Only thing here is, I need to prep lunch and stuff the night before – also, doable.
- Zumba, once a week. I’m a little bit obsessed with this class right now. The instructors are insane – I leave there dripping in sweat, feeling on top of the world, every time. It’s empowering. It’s fun. It’s salsa, it’s hip hop, it’s African tribal, it’s bollywood, it’s everything. This class sets my soul on fire every time. #happyplace
- Wednesday night jogging. This is a standing tradition with Geoff and something I look forward to every week. We get home, zip into running gear, put on some funky headlights and off we go – 5km jog through the neighbourhood in the dark. FUN! (Could never do this alone, so I’m very grateful to have a running buddy to do this with).
- Lunchtime quickies. I’m lucky that I’ve got a mini gym where I work so when I can, I try and do a quick treadmill walk, lift a few dumbbells or do some stretching for 25 min. (At my previous job, I’d walk around the business complex for 40 min). Lunchtime is SUCH a good time to squeeze some fitness in when you have NO time before or after work.
- Weekend warrior. I LOVE going to the gym on the weekends. It’s quieter. There are less show offs. I don’t have to rush. I can see the sun. Kauai is open. It’s awesome… AND a great way to shake off those annoying Sunday blues.
- Saturday morning parkrun. I haven’t been to the parkrun in ages because Zumba is on around the same time. But I’ll make a mission this weekend again. Because – nature, good coffee, 300 Vitality points, fresh air, quality time with Geoff. Only problem: getting there by 7.30am. But, very doable every 2nd or 3rd weekend.
- Youtube workout videos. I don’t do these as often, because I just don’t have the motivation. But they’re great for days when I don’t want to see anyone or get out of my pajamas or only do 15 minutes. I love Jessica Smith TV because her channel is dedicated to fitness for the average woman and there’s everything from Pilates and yoga to kickboxing, ballet barre to HIIT, strength and toning to stretching routines.
I feel like it’s been AGES since I wrote something fitness-related here.
Exercising isn’t the easiest thing to do – especially when life gets crazy and stressful (I’ll admit, chocolate and wine wins over a workout some days)… life…
BUT, it’s the knowing how GOOD I’m going to feel afterwards that usually (usually) gets me to lace up my trainers, tie back my hair and just do it.
Starting, FYI, is always the hardest part. Once you’re there, dancing, running, stretching, walking – whatever, it’s a piece of cake. Really, promise.
Make fitness fun. Move. Enjoy. Love life. Etc, etc, etc.
Having said that, will all this exercise, the clothes are STILL a bit too snug (what the heck??). Pinotage and pizza… evil weekend necessities. I think a trip to Food Lover’s Market is in order next week…