This is a perfect recipe to try if you like flapjacks or pancakes, and have some fresh fruit lying around the house that you need to use up soon.
The other day I was hungry for lunch, and was tired of eating the same old thing. I spotted a few lonely little plums sitting in the fruit bowl that were almost overripe and ready for the bin. I really don’t like wasting food.
That’s what brought about this recipe. I know, it sounds a bit weird, but it’s delicious!
Just give it a try…
….you won’t be sorry trust me!
- 250g (1 cup) Gluten-free or plain flour
- 5ml Baking powder
- 1 Egg
- 1/3 Cup butter or margerine
- 3/4 Cup low fat milk
- Pinch of salt
- 5ml Vanilla essence
- 4 Small plums
- 30ml Orange juice
- 5ml Cayenne pepper, cinnamon and nutmeg mixed together
- Low fat plain yoghurt (optional)
- Olive oil
- Melt butter in the microwave for a few seconds until melted. Stir in the vanilla essence.
- Whisk the egg in a small bowl.
- Combine the vanilla butter, whisked egg, and milk in another bowl.
- Add the flour and salt to the wet ingredients and mix until the batter is smooth.
- Thinly slice the plums and put this into a small pot on low heat with 5ml of olive oil.
- Add the orange juice and spices to the plum mixture, and fry for a few minutes until soft.
- Take the pot off the heat and set aside.
- Spoon the flapjack mixture into a frying pan with a little olive oil.
- Fry lightly on both sides until golden brown and cooked through.
- Plate the flapjacks and drizzle the spicy plum mixture on top.
- Garnish with a few teaspoons of plain yoghurt and melted dark chocolate if desired.
- Serves 2.
- This recipe can be served for breakfast, lunch, or dessert.
- If you don’t eat yoghurt you can leave this off, or replace it with fat reduced cream.
- You can use nectarines, peaches, pineapple, or even mango instead of plums.
Health and happiness..