I’ve always been a huge dessert lover. I can’t live without chocolate or the sweet stuff. That’s one of the things I missed when I started eating healthier. I thought this meant that all sweet things were off limits, so my sweet “treat” was an apple. But I CRAVED those delicious desserts so badly that every now and then I’d give in to temptation and sneak slabs of chocolate and party bags of chips into the shopping trolley. I’d devour these easily within an hour of getting home.
Depriving myself of the good stuff, or gouging myself silly with a junk food fix every few weeks was just not going to do it…
I’m still experimenting with healthy desserts – sometimes it works out, other times it’s a complete disaster. Thankfully this one turned out the way I’d pictured it, and it was delicious!
It had just the right amount of velvety chocolate goodness, saltiness, crunch from the nuts, and juicy sweetness from the cranberries.
Here’s what you need…
Serves 4 (simply divide ingredients if you want to make less)
- 1 bag of low fat microwave popcorn (I used the weigh-less one)
- pinch of salt *
- 80g dark chocolate (¾ of a slab)
- ¾ cup of cranberries
- 100g flaked almonds
- 4 T coconut shavings
- 1 T pumpkin seeds
* Leave out salt if there is already some salt in the bag of popcorn
- Scatter flaked almonds onto a baking tray that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray and bake in the oven for +/- 6 minutes at 100°C. Keep an eye on the nuts as they burn easily. They’re ready when they’re light golden brown and toasted.
- Cook the bag of popcorn in the microwave as per the instructions on the bag.
- Melt the chocolate in a mug in the microwave for +/- 5 minutes on low heat or until melted. Make sure to stir every minute or so and ensure that the chocolate doesn’t burn.
- Place popcorn into serving bowls and top each one with the toasted almonds, cranberries, and pumpkin seeds.
- Drizzle the chocolate over the toppings and sprinkle the coconut shavings on top. Eat as is with a spoon, or set bowls aside for 30 – 60 minutes for the chocolate to harden slightly. Break off pieces and enjoy!