Invest in YOURSELF because you WANT to
The other night we were in the kitchen making supper when I casually mentioned that I’d been thinking about saving up and doing a part time course.
“Don’t you want to be a writer anymore?!” Geoff asked, not looking the least bit amused.
“Of course not!” I said, shaking my head. “Just because I want to study something else doesn’t mean I want to stop doing what I’m doing.”
I couldn’t blame him. I’m notorious for chopping and changing my mind, but it’s taken me a good 10 years to get here, so I think I want to stick it out a while. But lately I’ve just had this overwhelming urge to study. Strange, I know. The last time I studied was nine years ago when I did a correspondence Interior Decorating and Small Business Management course through Intec College. Such a great course and even though I’m no interior decorator, I don’t think any education is a waste of time. Well, except for trigonometry and equations…
Why should women UP their skills?
I’m no big time feminist, but let’s be realistic: it’s a mans world out there – mostly. So there’s that.
I also think it’s a good idea to continuously grow your skill set, learn something new, and just basically invest in yourself. Invest in YOU – whether you’re treating your body like a temple and being healthy, or whether you’re feeding your brain with infinite knowledge “power.”
As much as I detest the internet and all this technology some days – don’t you ever wish you could just “switch off” or go into hibernation for a few days? – it has a lot of benefits. One of them being this incredible unlimited source of information. You can learn to speak Russian online, you can start a small business online, you can study online.
The options are endless..
10 Ways to Invest in Yourself… Starting Today
Whether you’re a student, a housewife, an office worker, or you run your own business, there are so many things you can do to invest in yourself.
Things to increase your knowledge of something, things that can make you happier or feel more fulfilled, things that will energise you and make you want to take on the world. Here are a few ideas…
- Start a hobby. Whatever tickles your fancy: gardening, painting, decoupage, knitting, or making jewellery.
- Learn a new language. My friend Cynthia has an awesome online Spanish course you can check out here.
- Give yoga a try. I took a free yoga class at Virgin Active the other day and I still can’t believe how incredible it was. Yoga is fantastic for focus, fitness, and finding yourself. (Shew, those were a lot of f’s!)
- Volunteer. Giving back is a great way to invest your time and energy and it will make you feel good about yourself.
- Start a blog. This is a fun way to be creative and interact with like-minded people.
- Do an online course. Business management, counselling, event planning, IT, marketing… the internet is your oyster!
- Get a little selfish. Learn the art of saying ‘No’ to things that you don’t want to do. Block off a few minutes of “me time” every day (even if you have to lock yourself in a room like Charlotte did in Sex and the City 2). Or better yet, take a “me day.”
- Move your body. Take up running, join a dance class, or buy a couple of workout DVDs to try at home. Exercising combats stress and releases a ton of feel-good endorphins,
- See a psychologist. These days visiting a therapist doesn’t mean you’re crazy. In fact, most people I know have been to a therapist. I’ve been to two and it did wonders. You could also see a Life Coach.
- Let go a little. None of us are robots, so don’t try so hard to be the ultimate perfectionist at home or the office. Your body, and your partner or family will thank you.
Have you done anything to invest in yourself lately? Share below!
P.S. This post is going to be part of a new Girl Power series, so if you’re a regular male reader, please don’t feel offended – pass it on to the lady(ies) in your life. 😉
Image credit: Ken Teegardin via Flickr